Comments on Python Redesign

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Sun Sep 7 09:07:18 EDT 2003

"Tim Parkin" <tim.parkin at pollenationinternet.com> wrote in message

[...snip...]
> Perhaps the people who have commented on the site should realise it's a
> proposal and a work in progress. As constructive comments go the only
> feedback I have gathered is that the fonts are too small and the
> contrast is
> a little low. I've adjusted contrast on key elements and also increased
> the
> font size. These pages are here :

[...snip...]
I agree that the python.org site could use a face-lift, however, my concern
with the design presented is along the lines of page size and/or browser
compatibility.  If you design via CSS using too many of the newer features
some older browsers will have problems rendering, if you don't use CSS for
that layout then you'll be using too many graphics.  You should keep in mind
the fact that Python is used internationally.  So bandwidth, browser
compatibility and internationalization are all very valid concerns.

If the redesign limits the number of people who can access it's information
or hinders their access to the same then I would be (-1) on the effort.
Remember, that the most popular and highly used sites, i.e. google and
yahoo, are quite boring in a design sense but are off the chart for
usability and accessibility.  It's the content and the accessibilty to that
content that has made them so popular.  I would vote to emulate these
attributes in any python website redesign.

- Jeff