When did Windows start accepting forward slash as a path separator?

Michael Geary Mike at DeleteThis.Geary.com
Thu Sep 25 22:04:14 EDT 2003

Ben Finney wrote:
> I highly doubt it, since the forward slash (or just "slash") is the
> conventional Windows command-line option indicator, analogous to the
> hyphen on Unix.  To accept it as the start of a filename would break
> zillions of existing systems, for no appreciable benefit to Microsoft.

Actually, every version of Windows, and every version of MS-DOS from 2.0 on,
has accepted "/" as a path delimiter.

Don't confuse the command line with the Windows or DOS kernel. Most command
lines don't allow "/" because it conflicts with the use of "/" for a switch
deliminer. But the Windows and DOS kernels are happy with either "\" or "/".

-Mike