Codesample for xml/xslt transforming

Axel Straschil axel at straschil.com
Wed Sep 10 03:58:10 EDT 2003

Hallo!

> Have you used the page templates in Zope? They really are a thing of beauty.

Yes, zope's page templates are good. I've two site's where I'm using them.
My point of interest is:
If your are coding the html-output of a website with dtml/pt in Zope or
php, you've got the problem that:
 - The webdesigner has to dig in your source
 - You must code your program like the html-code is comming, not the data
With the last point, I mean that that a html-page ist codet top down, and
so dtml/pt are parest from the top to the bottom.
Imagine I'm fetching an Article from via the network from an remote
server, the Article has an caption and an content. I want to show the
caption in the title-tag of the header, and the article somewhere nested
in the body. With dtml/pt, I must either access the remote article server
twice, or make a funny variable definition construktion. Not very nice!

If my output ist not html, it's xml, a can make an data-orientated output,
not design orientated. Maybe dtml/pt is used to produce that xml-code, who
cares. The webdesigner is starting at the OUTPUT of the xml-code, he is
just seeing that (dynamic modifing) xml-code, he's never digging my
source.

So, the last thing ist to convert that data-orientated xml to designers
xhtml. It's like taking pieces of data from the xml and placing them
on the webpage. No funking programming, yust templaging. I think for that,
XSLT ist a good thing. But I'm just starting, maybe, in one or two weeks,
I'll shredder all that X-Files, or maybe I'll love them ;-)

--
Lg,
Axel.
  _|traschil              eMail:  axel at straschil.com