testing the data-type of a stream

David Bear david.bear at asu.edu
Tue Sep 16 23:53:28 EDT 2003

I'm writing a filter and would like to be able to do what the Linux
'file' command does, i.e. look at a couple of bytes to see what kind of
data I'm dealing with, the branch based on the type.

I scanned the python library and couldn't find anything that seemed to
approximate this.  I know I could do os.popen and call the file
command then parse the output, but would rather not if there is a
regular python module that can do it for me.

any recommendations?

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257