OT: best book in years

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 5 09:38:16 EDT 2003

Patrick Useldinger wrote:

> I am going to stay in hospital for a week or so (nothing serious), and am
> trying to find a book or two to read there. .. I would like
> to know what *you* consider to be the best book you have read in the last
> few years, about Python or IT in general.

I had a few weeks in hospital last Christmas/New Year, and bought
myself "Mastering Regular Expressions", by Friedl, before I went in,
thinking it was an ideal opportunity to catch up on some reading.

http://regex.info/

However, once I was in there, I never even opened the book. I was too
busy focussing on getting healthy again.

If you've got to spend a couple of weeks in hospital, spend it wisely:
focus primarily on your health! The days and weeks after a
medical/surgical procedure are the crucial healing period that will
determine whether or not you'll remain healthy or be back for the same
procedure again next year.

All that work stuff, and related stuff, should wait until you're ready
for it again.

On a lighter note, a fantastic book that I really enjoyed reading (for
leisure) was

Kil'n People, by David Brin.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/used/-/1841491381/

It's nothing less than a masterpiece of modern sci-fi. IMHO :-)

Best wishes for good health!

--
alan kennedy