Fwd: Re: Writing solid code book

Jeremy Dillworth jwdillworth at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 09:10:39 EDT 2003

--- "John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:
> post400 at prontomail.com (post400) writes:
>
> > there is another famous book 'Writing solid code' but does it apply to
> > Python ? Or it's usable only by Microsoft C programmers ? The author
> > seems to be an ex-Microsoft guy !
>
> Never read it, but from the blurb about and extract from it in my copy
> of Code Complete it certainly sounds pretty focused on C.
>
> The Python Cookbook is the first book I'd have on my list if I were
> learning Python now (O'Reilly, eds. Martelli & Ascher).
>

> John
> --

I agree!  Python cookbook is a must-have for any [aspiring] Python
programmer.

Writing solid code is more about avoiding errors though, I don't see
that covered in the cookbook.  Unless I missed some recipes...

Perhaps something like Kent Beck's _Test Driven Development_ would
be more easily applicable to Python than Writing Solid code.
(self.disclaimer = "Have not read it personally")