OT: best book in years

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Sep 5 19:51:36 EDT 2003

"Michael Peuser" <mpeuser at web.de> writes:

> "Juha Autero" <Juha.Autero at iki.fi>
> >
> > Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. It may not be the best
> > book I read and not very useful, but I'd recomend reading it anyway.
> >

> I made the same recommendation some minutes ago, but without your
> reservation. In fact I might even come to the conclusion it *is* the best
> book I have read ;-)
>
> Why do you think it is not very useful? What do you think of Shakespeare by
> the way?

[not directed at me, but I'll answer anyway...]

Well, it dazzles you with all sorts of fascinating stuff, and succeeds
at being something wonderful purely in its own right, but it fails to
actually solve any problems.  Of course, nobody can really tell him
off for that, since his subject matter revolves around what appears to
be the biggest unsolved mystery in human knowledge.

John