Open Source leader? (was Re: Celebrity advice)

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Tue Sep 2 18:27:57 EDT 2003

Quoting John J. Lee (jjl at pobox.com):
> aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
>
> > In article <Kv-cnVDMbb1qmdOiRTvUqg at speakeasy.net>,
> [...]
> > OTOH, Perens is also (like me ;-) a self-described asshole.  When I saw
> > him at the Waterside Conference earlier this year, he basically claimed
> > that only assholes could make significant progress in the Open Source
> > community.
> [...]
>
> Why?

I think the sentiment is just a variant on the "politicians always
lie" theme. Open source is socio-political, and so it's the
charismatics that succeed. "Asshole" is one manifestation of a strong
personality.

--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts dot net>     http://www.gerrietts.net/
 "Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions, has always been the