use make and version control system for every project?

Jorge Godoy godoy at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Oct 6 09:29:35 EDT 2003

jjl at pobox.com (John J. Lee) writes:

> So does diff.

For using diff I'd have to keep several copies os my full
project. With CVS I just keep one full copy -- the last revision ---
and diffs to each revision (it's automatic). The space saved is
substantial for a big sized project.

> I tried CVS for personal work and found it more pain that it was
> worth.  I can believe other VC systems are sufficiently better to make
> it worthwhile, though (moving directories around).

I'm biased towards CVS, I'm sorry.

On the other hand, I've been hearing great things about subversion. I
just need to check if there are nice clients to it on Windows too
(some partners of mine only use Windows...).

> [...]
>> With regards to make, I believe that distutils would be its
>> equivalent in pythonia. It is somewhat unintuitive in some things, but
>
> Not really -- scons is the equivalent.

Hmmm... I should have a look into them. Thanks for the correction.

--
Godoy.     <godoy at metalab.unc.edu>