Is there a method that returns a character at a specified index?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Sun Oct 26 21:40:42 EST 2003

In article <bnhusm$114ioa$1 at ID-198839.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Michael Loomington <mloomington at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>Couldn't find anything here
>http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.2/lib/string-methods.html
>
>I need to cycle through lines in a file that contain words and compare it to
>a string thats given, call it SSS to see if the words in the file can be
>written from SSS.  I am planning to grab each letter from the word one at a
>time and removing it from SSS and if the letter doesn't exist then I will go
>on to the next word.  That's why I need a method that returns a letter at
>each index.  Maybe there an easier way of doing this.

I don't understand your description.

I'm certain there's an easier way.

My guess is that this is an example of what you think you want:
  Python 2.3+ (#2, Aug 10 2003, 11:33:47)
  [GCC 3.3.1 (Debian)] on linux2
  >>> alphabet = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
  >>> alphabet[3]
  'd'
  >>> alphabet[14]
  'o'