Win2k and mingw gnu compiler with Python 2.3.2?

dbrown2 at yahoo.com dbrown2 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 16:01:15 EDT 2003

I'm trying to understand and document how to install pypar on Win2k.
Pypar needs to be installed with some MPI library code and also needs
libpython23.a and other files which are not included with the python
Windows binary installation.  I've got that worked out but still no
success.

Here's the error message I'm seeing:

>python setup.py install
>running install
>running build
>running build_py
>running build_ext
>error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and
extensions need to
>be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't
installed.

I also get the error if I use gcc directly.  I'm trying to use the
mingw version of the gnu compiler in a command window (not cygwin).  I
have made this appoach work on python 2.2 but not 2.3.  Does anyone
know of a work-around or at least what might be happening?  I'm more
of a scripter, not a full-time programmer, and moving quickly out of
my depth on this one.

Dave Brown