Python vs Visual Basic

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Sat Oct 18 19:30:20 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 19:58, Alex Martelli wrote:
> Orange Free wrote:
>
> > In article <mailman.65.1066064125.2192.python-list at python.org>, Robert
> > Brewer wrote:
> >
> >> So I might recommend doing it all in VBA within Word. I hear that
> >> overwrought, overdesigned, over-featured mass has some sort of Forms
> >> functionality.
> >
> > It does, and it is all very clunky.  Simply creating linked fields to
> > automate updates to names that occur several times through a document
> > causes my disk to thrash!
> >
> > Nevertheless, I will probably take your advice.  I've attempted
> > similar tasks using LaTeX and Python, BTW, and I found it pretty easy
> > to do what I wanted.  What is more, LaTeX output looks better than its
> > Word equivalent.  But I need documents that my secretaries can work
> > with after the documents have been generated by my Python script, and
> > LaTeX source would just fry their brains.  So I'm stuck with Word.
>
> You could use Python and RTF: Microsoft Word can load RT docs, and
> even save in RTF, without too much trouble.

Couldn't OpenOffice 1.1 and its PyUNO interface be used to generate MS
Word files (and other formats)?

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0