BIG successes of Lisp (was ...)

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Tue Oct 14 06:52:37 EDT 2003

mike420 wrote in message news:<BYIFD1LVHXB1ALLZLRH3P2BZOIIFHWLSJ4B4BRP3 at ziplip.com>...
> In the context of LATEX, some Pythonista asked what the big
> successes of Lisp were. I think there were at least three *big*

See:

  http://alu.cliki.net/Success%20Stories

> a. AFAIK Orbitz frequently has to be shut down for maintenance
> (read "full garbage collection" - I'm just guessing: with

They don't use garbage collection, they do explicit memory allocation
from pools. More details were given in the ILC 2002 talk "ITA Software
and Orbitz: Lisp in the Online Travel World" by Rodney Daughtrey:

http://www.international-lisp-conference.org/ILC2002/Speakers/People/Rodney-Daughtrey.html

The talk's slides are included in the ILC 2002 proceedings available
from Franz, Inc. As for shutdown for maintenance, the slides seem to
suggest that they use online patching.

Paolo