closed source

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Thu Oct 23 18:15:57 EDT 2003

David Bolen wrote:
> Milos Prudek <milos.prudek at tiscali.cz> writes:
>> The idea here is that C is much harder to decompile than Python.
>
> Definitely true - I think anything that does a native compilation is
> much harder to decompile into usable information (but clearly not
> impossible) simply because the compiled form is much further removed
> from the original source.

Only if the bytecode in a known format.  Otherwise the opposite is true -
you need to reverse engineer the whole interpreter before you can even start
reverse engineering the bytecode.  This suggests an obvious solution: tweak
the Python interpreter to use a slightly different bytecode format.  (This
only works if you can distribute a custom Python interpreter with your
compiled Python modules.)

--
Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com - http://eldwood.com