Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Wed Oct 29 13:53:12 EST 2003

Joe Marshall wrote:
> Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> writes:
>
>>No, for christ's sake!  There are dynamically typed programs that you
>>cannot translate into statically typed ones!
>
> You are really going to confuse the static typers here.  Certainly
> there is no program expressable in a dynamically typed language such
> as Lisp that is not also expressible in a statically typed language
> such as SML.

Yes, of course. Bad wording on my side.

Thanks for clarification.

I am not interested in Turing equivalence in the static vs. dynamic
typing debate. It's taken for granted that for every program written in
either kind of language you can write an equivalent program in the other
kind of language. I seriously don't intend to suggest that dynamically
typed languages beat Turing computability. ;-)

I am not interested in _what_ programs can be implemented, but in _how_
programs can be implemented.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza at web.de        Institute of Computer Science III