Best way to use Python to make 2d XY scatter graphs? Will TKinter do it?

Dean dbrotzel at informationmediary.com
Mon Oct 20 09:31:03 EDT 2003

rh4170056 at juno.com (rhmd) wrote in message news:<616fccba.0310200250.22d55351 at posting.google.com>...
> I need to create image files (eg bmp or jpeg) of xy scatter graphs
> (i.e., graphs in which markers denote individual points; the markers
> need to be small polygons of various sizes, shapes, colors, shadings,
> etc. and there are thousands on them on each graph).  Have been using
> MS Excel, but its limitations are unbelievable (only whole number
> sizes, no way around a 56 color palette, only low quality jpeg files
> so that when I publish the graphs I have to print and scan them all to
> get a decent image, no more than 32K markers in a single series).
> From a programming point of view, Python is perfect to set up
> something like this, but MY QUESTION IS: Will TKinter do this?  Or
> will it be necessary to learn OpenGL?  Or is another Python compatible
> package best?  Thanks for your help.

What you want is the magic of Blt graph available through the Pmw
package (or write your on Tkinter like wrapper).  If you can imagine
it this graphing package can to it (with a little bit of work and know
how).  The only snag is that image output as far as I know is limited
to gif out of the box.  I beleive with a little bit of work you will
be able to get jpeg output.

http://pmw.sourceforge.net/doc/index.html
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/Pmw.Blt/doc/

The second link is the most useful.