Newcomer struggling with tutorial

CPK Smithies cpks at NOSPAM.btopenworld.com
Sat Oct 4 23:17:31 EDT 2003

Just joined this group, fascinated by Python. Many thanks to those who have
worked so hard on it!

One big problem, though: I was completely thrown by this, which I quote
from the Tutorial:

> Comparisons can be chained. For example, a < b == c tests whether a is
less than b and moreover b equals c.

I threw a mental wobbly and wasted two hours over this:

a = -1
b = 77
c =  1

(a < b)
 True

True == c
 True

(a < b) == c
 False

Unfortunately I was brought up with the belief that if A == B and B == C,
then A should == C.

I confess that after two hours worrying about this I have given up on
Python and uninstalled it. A shame: it looked so good!

CPKS