Why don't people like lisp?

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Wed Oct 15 12:20:42 EDT 2003

Given that this thread is Lisp related, and that Python users have had
even too much exposure to Lisp in other threads, I have set the
followup of this article to comp.lang.lisp only. Please consider
moving this, and all other Lisp-related discussions, to
comp.lang.lisp.

Francis Avila writes:

> I think what helped kill the lisp machine was probably lisp: many people
> just don't like lisp, because it is a very different way of thinking that

Why did it take Lisp Machines users over a decade to realize they
didn't like Lisp after all? It looks like Lisp generates pretty strong
feelings pretty fast.

By the way, there were at least Ada, C, Fortran and Prolog compilers
available for Genera, the operating system of Symbolics Lisp
Machines. The C compiler was good enought to port X Window to Genera.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <amoroso at mclink.it>