Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at comcast.net
Fri Oct 17 19:22:51 EDT 2003

Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> wrote in message news:<bm66jn$pi8$1 at f1node01.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>...
> David Eppstein wrote:
> > In article <bm4uf6$6oj$1 at newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
> >  Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> wrote:
> >

> >>It's probably just because the Common Lisp community is still relatively
> >>small at the moment. But this situation has already started to improve a
> >>lot.
> >

> > It's only been out, what, twenty years? And another twenty before that
> > for other lisps... How much time do you think you need?
>
> AFAIK, Lisp was very popular in the 70's and 80's, but not so in the
> 90's. At the moment, Common Lisp is attracting a new generation of
> programmers.

I was a Lisp fan back when Common Lisp came out.  We went from a
stunningly simple language that could be described in a small booklet
to one that couldn't be adequately described in a 300-page tome.  It
was about that time that Lisp dropped off the radar.

Now I have a language called Python, which like the original Lisp can
be described simply but has extraordinary power.  And _it_ is what is
attracting a new generation of programmers.