best GUI toolkit for python: tkinter, wxPython or what?

Tim Ronning tim.ronning at start.no
Fri Oct 31 06:57:57 EST 2003

På Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:29:39 GMT, skrev Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>:

> Yes, eric + pyqt + qt _IS_ a great RAD, *BUT*:
>
> 1. I don't know if eric currently runs on mac and windows, as required
> by the original poster
>
> 2. distributing non-GPL applications using pyqt/qt, or distributing
> them on windows (and I think on mac too), requires purchasing a
> license -- the OP had said nothing about need to avoid payment,
> but I've found that people generally DO expect to get something
> for nothing in everything connected to open-source:-).
>
> If one is thinking in terms of GPL/Linux, OR one has funding to pay
> for licenses, then yes, I would definitely recommend PyQt/Qt -- either
> with eric (on hearsay -- haven't actually tried it out yet but I've
> ONLY heard good things about it!) for GPL/Linux, or with theKompany's
> BlackAdder IDE which does run on Windows (dunno about macs) AND comes
> with licenses for pyqt/qt that are cheaper than you can purchase on
> their own (the licenses alone may be worth getting a Blackadder license
> even if you don't plan to use Blackadder itself, in fact).
>

> Alex
>

>From the ERIC homepage:

"eric3 is a full featured Python IDE that is written in PyQt using the
QScintilla editor widget. For information on PyQt and QScintilla please see
Riverbank Computing. Please note, that eric3 needs PyQt 3.6 or newer and
QScintilla 1.0 or newer.
Note: In order to use eric3 under Win... operating systems you need a
commercial or educational license of Qt 3.x from Trolltech and the
corresponding license of PyQt (which includes QScintilla) from Riverbank. "

link: http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

So I guess windooze should be ok. OS X ?

Regards
Tim Ronning