XML-RPC, SOAP, and data persistence

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Oct 13 08:45:45 EDT 2003

On 13 Oct 2003 03:34:47 -0700,
	Mark Carter <cartermark46 at ukmail.com> wrote:
> to use; which really made an impression on me. But you can't make data
> persist on the server (not without rolling your own mechanism, at any
> rate). I'm thinking here about thin clients, where the main process
> runs on a server.

I don't follow the connection you're trying to make here.  XML-RPC and SOAP
are network protocols used for communication between a client and a server;
what the server or client *do* with the data they receive is up to them and
not part of the protocol definition.  You simply have to roll your own
mechanism, or use an existing module such as pickle, ZODB, or an RDBMS.

--amk