documentation of import from zip files?

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Thu Oct 16 21:38:50 EDT 2003

"Bill Janssen" <janssen at parc.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.149.1066350450.2192.python-list at python.org...
> Is the ability to import Python modules from zip files in 2.3
> documented anywhere?  I looked in the Language ref at the "import"
> statement and in the Library Ref under "ZipFile" module.
>
> I'd like to know the specifics of arcnames in the Python zipfiles,
> such as which character is used to separate path parts.

Look in the "What's New in Python 2.3" document. As far
as directory structure, if the zip module can figure out the directory
structure, so can import. There's no special requirements for
separating directories, or for separating pathnames in the Pythonpath
statement.

The 'zipimport' module doesn't seem to be separately
documented, probably because it's automatically
loaded if a .zip file is detected in the Pythonpath.

John Roth