Python <-> Java RMI

Duncan Grisby duncan-news at grisby.org
Mon Oct 20 07:22:53 EDT 2003

In article <bn0at8$rhpra$1 at ID-111250.news.uni-berlin.de>,
 Diez B. Roggisch <nospam-deets at web.de> wrote:

>As Alex mentioned, jython works (very well, indeed). However, all
>standarized RPC methods should work. For example SOAP and CORBA (fnorb is
>usable for python, but I didn't check that out for 2 years now).
>
>AFAIK RMI and CORBA want to converge, so maybe there is a slim chance of RMI
>exposed services beeing callable by CORBA-clients, and thus python. But I
>wouldn't bet on that.

CORBA clients can, in theory, connect to RMI servers, but there are
two problems. First, RMI over IIOP requires CORBA valuetypes, and
none of the Python CORBA implementations support valuetypes yet. The
current development version of omniORBpy does support valuetypes, but
it hasn't been tested with RMI yet.

The other problem is that the mapping from RMI interfaces to CORBA is
unpleasant in the extreme, and very difficult to program with.

By far the best option is to use CORBA directly at the Java level.

Cheers,

Duncan.

--
 -- Duncan Grisby         --