AI and cognitive psychology rant

Stephen Horne steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 11:22:02 EST 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:57:33 -0500, Arthur <ajs at optonline.net> wrote:

>If the machine is not at least potentially subject to fits of raging
>paranoia, its probably programmed wrong.  If it is, what have we
>accomplished?

>From what I can see, the human set of emotions are an integrated
system 'designed' (in the evolutionary sense) to achieve a purpose.
Being intelligent does not imply being paranoid, jealous, etc etc.

Of course when machines have to deal with conflicts of interest (and
when they have interests of their own to deal with) it might turn out
that emotions rather similar to the human ones work well (or at least
as well as the human ones do).

After all, rage has a purpose. As us passive Asperger syndrome
sufferers know very well, a very delicate balance of anger is needed
to succeed in society. If you are not sufficiently angry when you
should be, you are an easy target for bullying and exploitation. And
of course when the last straw breaks the camels back, when that
expression "beware the wrath of a quiet man" suddenly becomes
relevant, you just end up looking like you get angry for no reason.

--
Steve Horne