[Semi-OT] Re: use make and version control system for every project?

Carl Banks imbosol at aerojockey.invalid
Mon Oct 6 16:29:12 EDT 2003

Jules Dubois wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 02:00:44 GMT, in article
> <g14gb.28844$541.3202 at nwrdny02.gnilink.net>, Carl Banks wrote:
>
>> Personally, I use make on every single one of my projects.
>> [...]
>
> I'm just the opposite.  I don't use make on personal or group Python
> programming projects.  Would you say why you find it useful there?

Even my simplest projects have a Makefile looking something like this:

---------------------
install:
	python setup.py install --home=~

uninstall:
	rm -rf ~/lib/python/package-name

dist:
	python setup.py sdist

clean:
	rm -rf build dist *~ *.pyc
---------------------

Useful?  Yeah.  Easiest way to define a bunch of common directives,
and keep the clutter of the project root down?  I think so.

It's certainly not crucial.

--
CARL BANKS                   http://www.aerojockey.com/software

As the newest Lady Turnpot descended into the kitchen wrapped only in
her celery-green dressing gown, her creamy bosom rising and falling
like a temperamental souffle, her tart mouth pursed in distaste, the
sous-chef whispered to the scullery boy, "I don't know what to make of
her."
          --Laurel Fortuner, Montendre, France
            1992 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest Winner