Why don't people like lisp?

Paul Rubin http
Sat Oct 18 15:59:43 EDT 2003

Ville Vainio <ville.spammehardvainio at spamtut.fi> writes:
> Lisp offers a bit more power than Python (macros), but after a while
> with Python, one notices that none of the power that is missing is
> actually even needed. Python has just the right
> features. Period. There are one or two warts (dangling variable
> after list comprehensions comes to mind), but the language as a
> whole feels natural. Lisp feels natural if you are writing a
> compiler or want to be as orthogonal as possible, Python feels
> natural for most (all except drivers/applications with extreme
> performance requirements) of the real world applications.

No language feels more natural than Lisp.  There's a real sense that
while Python was invented by a brilliant programmer, Lisp is built
into of the structure of the Universe.  Bob Kanefsky's song "The
Eternal Flame" is a humor piece for sure, but it expresses that
sentiment beautifully.  I can't imagine it being written about Python
or any other language than Lisp.

   http://www.songworm.com/lyrics/songworm-parody/EternalFlame.html