Newbie needs to see a large project

Nowan nowan.noware at nohowe.net
Tue Oct 7 13:00:43 EDT 2003

John Fabiani wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I have been checking Python recently and have presented what little I know
> to mangement.  They have asked if there is any large business apps (like an
> accounting system) using python and what the performance is like.  We would
> be running on Linux with a large database (maybe postgres or mysql) of 3-5
> Gbytes.  We would be moving from a windows platform(foxpro apps) to Linux
> (python).  About 50 users total.  Thanks in advance....

================================
Great question.

I'm in the same situation.  I'm an enterprise database guy who is
looking at building database-backed transactional web apps.  Stuff that
might otherwise be done using ASP or JSP/Servlets.

I need a database-driven web app that might support a few hundred users.

 From the many thoughtful responses, I'm afraid that a lot of folks
haven't built large apps, and haven't built sophisticated database apps.

10,000 LOC is not even a medium size app.

In a database-backed web site, the database is definitely not the
bottleneck if you are using Oracle or another enterprise class product.
    Unless your database design is very complex, it is the
performance/design of your web/middleware.

I'm building my little demo app.  I'm loving Python.  Python rocks.  Way
cooler than Perl.  Way cooler than PHP.  But the question looms ahead...
When I get finished, will it be fast enough to be a practical
alternative to ASP or JSP/Servlets?

Will I have to rewrite all the hard stuff in C?

Any performance thoughts at all are appreciated.  Especially from anyone
who has deployed a significant database driven web app.

TIA