Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Ingvar Mattsson ingvar at cathouse.bofh.se
Fri Oct 10 06:58:19 EDT 2003

Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
>
> > Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:
> >
> >>I think Python's problem is its success. Whenever something is
> >>succesful, the first thing people want is more features. Hell, that is
> >>how you know it is a success. The BDFL still talks about simplicity,
> >>but that is history. GvR, IMHO, should chased wish-listers away with
> >>"use Lisp" and kept his gem small and simple.
> > That's silly.  Something being successful means people want to use it
> > to get things done in the real world.  At that point they start
> > needing the tools that other languages provide for dealing with the
> > real world.  The real world is not a small and simple place, and small
> > simple systems are not always enough to cope with it.  If GVR had kept
> > his gem small and simple, it would have remained an academic toy, and
> > I think he had wide-reaching ambitions than that.
>
> I agree with everything you said except that last bit, and I only
> disagree with that because of what I have heard from Pythonistas, so
> maybe I missed something. I did not think Python (or GVR or both) had
> aspirations of being a full-blown language vs just being a powerful
> scripting language.
>
> Do they ever plan to do a compiler for it?

Python always compiles to byte-code, saved in a ".pyc" file, apart
(possibly) from the main file. Things that get "imported" will eb
compiled and saved out and re-compiled if the source-file is ewer than
the dumped compiled code.

//Ingvar
--
(defun p(i d)(cond((not i)(terpri))((car i)(let((l(cadr i))(d(nthcdr(car i)d
)))(princ(elt(string(car d))l))(p(cddr i)d)))(t(princ #\space)(p(cdr i)d))))