use make and version control system for every project?

Pettersen, Bjorn S BjornPettersen at fairisaac.com
Mon Oct 6 07:21:29 EDT 2003

> From: Max M [mailto:maxm at mxm.dk]
>
> Carl Banks wrote:
>
> >>A change history is vital on a fast-changing project; you
> >>can see when a articular feature went in, when a bug was
> >>fixed, when a structural change was made, etc.
> >
> > Why is that important?  How often do you really need to know when a
> > bug was fixed, for example?  (I'm serious.  I've never
> > needed to know these things.  Do other people really use these
> > features for personal projects?  And if they do, is it really
> > that often?)
>

> There is a difference in personal projects, and projetcs done by an
> individual. If you just write something for your own use it might not
> matter much.
>
> But if you write something for customers, or something that
> other people use, it is a good idea to be able to tell the
> customer what changes are made in the latest version they
> have received.
[..]

Not to mention figuring out if you can upgrade them to the latest stable
release vs. today's view of the 'development branch' (not breaking
things that used to work seems to be important to some customers ;-)

For small projects on Windows, e.g. SourceSafe is so integrated that it
takes virtually no time, so I can't see any reason not to use it.

-- bjorn