XP styled Tkinter widgets

Jeff Hobbs jeffh at activestate.com
Sun Oct 19 21:02:26 EDT 2003

Dean wrote:
> I was checking out the demos for tk 8.4.4.0 and noticed that alot of
> them (e.g. the scrollbar) have the XP style.
>
> I also noticed that when I use Python 2.3 and a seperately installed
> Tk 8.4.4.0 (not the default that comes with the python dist'n) my
> Tkinter widgets don't have the XP style.  They seem to have the
> Windows 2000 style.
>
> It was my understanding that Tkinter just uses tcl and tk underneath.
> So why don't the Tkinter widgets look like the corresponding widgets
> in the Tk demos.

Hmmmm... your understanding is correct, and I would expect that
Tk would use the correct scrollbar styling whether loaded from
Tkinter or as regular Tcl/Tk.  There is a common controls init
that occurs in C, but it may have to do with a manifest that
doesn't get used because it's not part of the DLLs.

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/