Thread not working correctly under FreeBSD

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Thu Oct 23 18:57:48 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Frederic Jolliton wrote:

> Frederic Jolliton <comp.lang.python at fred.jolliton.com> writes:
> [...]
> > Tested with the following FreeBSD version:
> >
> >  - 5.0-RELEASE (gcc 3.2.1) Python 2.2.2 and Python 2.3.2
> >  - 4.8-STABLE (gcc 2.95)
> >
> > Bug, feature or misuse of the thread module ?
>
> Just tested.. With FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE and Python 2.3.2, all is
> working fine !

IME FreeBSD 4.x's pthreads support, while stable, has some interesting
corner cases which are progressively being dealt with in 5.x.

5.0 was very much a test release, and nobody should still be using it.
5.1 is quite usable as a workstation & light duty server, but I hear it
still suffers under heavy load.  There has been no -stable release from
the 5.x (aka current) branch yet; the latest I hear is that -stable won't
arrive until 5.3.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/               |        Australia