wait until change

Heiko Wundram heikowu at ceosg.de
Fri Oct 17 21:29:33 EDT 2003

Michael Geary wrote:

>And to be *really* complete, Windows NT/2000/XP has the
>ReadDirectoryChangesW function, which has some improvements over the
>Find...ChangeNotification functions. Not available on Win95/98/Me, though.
>
>-Mike

And to be really, really complete, Unix (in my case Linux, afaik also
works under Solaris and HP-UX) has FAM (the file alteration monitor),
which works as a user-space daemon to which a program can attach to get
a file/directory change notification. The daemon itself uses a special
kernel module to get these notification right from the VFS (virtual file
system).

I recall that there was a Python-wrapper somewhere for the fam client
library.

HTH!

Heiko.