Book Recommendation

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Oct 9 08:44:18 EDT 2003

In article <pan.2003.10.09.07.16.01.671586 at secureb0x.net>,
Anthony  <sysfault at secureb0x.net> wrote:
			.
>replies, and honesty. I can't believe my core python programming book is
>outdated my mom just purchased it. please tell me it's still readable i
			.
			.
			.
Books get on store shelves in a process much akin to
legislation or sausage-making; it certainly would
surprise civilians, and syllogisms like, "available
at retail => current and pertinent" are true only
incidentally--it's tempting to write, "accidentally".

I'll say it more crudely:  that a book is available
for sale is absolutely no guarantee that it's cur-
rent, or accurate, or well-written, or any of the
other qualities consumers might favor.

In the case at hand, I urge you not to discard *Core
Python Programming* just because it's old.  Python's
a reasonably conservative language; unlike many pro-
prietary offerings, it doesn't change just to extract
renewal fees from its users.  If *CPP* suits your
approach, reading it (even in part) will help you.
You'll pick up Python's latest decorations some other
way.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net