Why don't people like lisp?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sat Oct 18 06:27:09 EDT 2003

A. Lloyd Flanagan wrote:

> "Francis Avila" <francisgavila at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<voobanm4rs7p68 at corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>"Christian Lynbech" <christian.lynbech at ericsson.com> wrote in message
>
> <snip an enormous long bit of post and re-post>
>
> I believe people don't like Lisp because the Lisp community keeps
> writing long, whiny, threads about why people don't like Lisp -- and
> posting them in groups that concern entirely different languages.

Whoa, that is a rather unpleasant addition to the archives.

What part of the subject line do you not understand? Just ignore us.

Python shares a lot of DNA with Lisp; maybe some Pythonistas would be
interested in knowing their Roots.

Especially if they really like Python and want to enjoy many of its
qualities while undertaking something requiring a full-blown
general-purpose language, they might benefit from knowing that the AI
winter and Lisp's loss of mindshare were accidents of history, not signs
of some flaw in the language.

People don't like Lisp because of misconceptions, and threads like that
help dispel those. That has to be a Good Thing, because NGs like this
are where Early Adopters like Pythonistas learn new things to explore,
even when those things were first conceived in 1956.

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my: