Installing a second version of an existing package

Derek Fountain nomail at hursley.ibm.com
Mon Oct 27 22:38:52 EST 2003

Is it possible to install a second version of an existing package? My SUSE
Linux box has PIL-1.1.3 installed, and this is used by the OS for various
tasks. It's bundled as part of a "python-imaging" package, which includes
tkinter and other stuff. Removing it causes widespread damage!

I want to install PIL-1.1.4, since I need the EXIF stuff. Is it possible to
install PIL-1.1.4 alongside PIL-1.1.3? If so, how do I go about it, and how
do I ensure my script runs the version of the library I want?