COM - Excel: What happens if users closes workbook externally?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 13 00:32:39 EDT 2003

Marc
> Anyone? Really need to figure this out.

On the theory that a wrong answer will bring responses from people
who actually know the answer ...

> > I've tried different ways of checking to see if the workbook is still
> > active, but nothing has worked. Is there anyway to bind the 'exit' and
> > 'x' from the excel spreadsheet to functions within my python script so
> > that I'll know when the workbook is closed?

There should be a way to receive the close window event.  There
is a test file in the win32 distribution named 'testMSOfficeEvents.py'
which has handlers like

        def OnQuit(self):
            self.seen_events["OnQuit"] = None
            stopEvent.set()

Given some of the other events in that file I found

http://www.as-ltd.co.uk/xllplus-online/CXllApp_Methods.htm

which suggests you should look at the OnWorkbookBeforeClose
event.

Hope that helped.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com