Microsoft Access read from linux python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Thu Oct 30 13:41:47 EST 2003

David ROBERT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to read data from a MS Access database.
> The program (reader) is installed on a linux box and
> is written in python langage.
> The database is MS Access 2002 installed on a Win XP box
> networked with the linux box.
>
> Is it possible for python/linux to read data from MS Access
> Database ?
>
> I've read a lot of things about mxODBC, iODBC and so on,
> but I'm still very confused, It looks like it is _not_
> possible.
>
> Ideas ? experiences ?

It is certainly possible. Here are some pointers to get you started:

	EasySoft's ODBC-ODBC bridge:

	   http://www.easysoft.com/

	MDBTools ODBC driver:

	   http://forums.devshed.com/archive/46/2002/06/4/37357
            http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/

	ODBC Socket Server:

  	   http://odbcsock.sourceforge.net/

	For a version with transaction support see UniverSQL:

	   http://www.sidespace.com/products/universql/

The setup is as follows:

Python -> mxODBC -> ODBC driver/bridge/gateway -> data source

The bridge and socket server basically interface the ODBC API
from Unix to Windows, so you are talking to the Windows
ODBC driver for MS Access. The MDB tools work directly
on the access files; not sure whether Access 2000 is supported
though.

BTW, if you can, I'd suggest to switch from Access to the
MS Desktop Engine (MSDE) 2000 which is basically MS SQL Server
2000 without the GUI tools and available as free download
from MS. You can use the FreeTDS ODBC driver to talk to it
from Linux or one of the many available commercial ODBC
drivers to access MS SQL Server from Linux.

HTH,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 30 2003)