Building Python 2.3 on HP-UX 10.20 - pthread failure

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 3 12:45:35 EDT 2003

Dan.Cescato at transcendata.com (Dan Cescato) writes:

> When I try to build Python 2.3 on HP-UX 10.20 using their cc compiler,
> I get a compile failure.  It comes down to Python/thread_pthread.h
> deciding that my machine is an unsupported system, as documented in
> the README file.  ("Systems defining PY_PTHREAD_D4...").  Apparently,
> Python 2.3 doesn't like their implementation of pthreads.  However, in
> the "Platform specific notes" section, there is a note about HP-UX
> 10.20 which makes me believe that someone has gotten it to work.
>
> The application we're writing in Python needs pthreads.  Is there an
> upgrade patch available from HP that will get this to build?

Please read http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0011.html. Python 2.3 might
work just fine on your system, however, we (actually, I) believe that
the this specific aspect of Python is little used. So unless you act
as described in the PEP, the existing support for the feature will be
*removed* rather than the problem being corrected.

So far, I had no information that it is HP-UX 10.20 which defines
PY_PTHREAD_D4; I was believing that the code dealing with it is dead.
Restoring the feature is trivial at the moment, but it takes a
volunteer to actually do so.

Regards,
Martin