[Off-Topic] cvs

Holger Krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Fri Oct 24 16:03:32 EDT 2003

Matthew Wilson wrote:
> In article <mailman.79.1067018532.702.python-list at python.org>, Holger
> Krekel wrote:
>
> > CVS is used *widely* throughout the free/opensource communities.
> > But it seems that the interest is growing to move to more
> > advanced versioning tools like subversion or arch.  Personally
> > i use subversion now wherever feasible/possible.
>
> Help me out - what does subversion have on CVS?  My biggest beef with
> CVS is that you can't add a description to a tag.  It would be nice if
> when you tag all your files, like "cvs -r 'stable0.5'" you could also
> write a few paragraphs that would get stored with that tag.

each commit gets its own revision number (so you can reference each
consistent state of your repo by an integer).  And you can set
revision-properties even for older revisions. Of course you have
the usual log-message associated with each commit so that might
just be enough for your use-case.  There is a lot more, check it
out maybe starting from this feature-list:

    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book.html#svn-ch-1-sect-3

cheers,

    holger