Comparing variable types

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Sun Oct 26 01:29:38 EDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:44:20AM -0400, Kill Bill wrote:
> Where can I find all the methods for Dictionaries?  They list some here, but
> is that all of them?
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.2/tut/node7.html#SECTION007140000000000000000
> I think it is, but I don't like how its written.  I want it to be written
> you know by method, constuctors, like in the Java API.  Anyone know what I'm
> talking about?  Its so quick to skim through the API to see which method you
> are looking for.  Not the case here.

Again, you can find it in the library reference:
    http://python.org/doc/current/lib/typesmapping.html

Although it isn't clear until you've read that that dictionaries are a
"mapping type", if you look in the index you'll find that both "dictionary
object" and "dictionary type, operations on" point you to that section.

I think you probably want to familiarise yourself with all of section 2 of
the Library Reference.

-Andrew.