[OT] Inuit? Eskimo?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 22 17:35:28 EDT 2003

Floyd Davidson:
> Of course, we aren't necessarily too keen on calling ourselves just
> American, either.

And others living in the Americas are Americas too.  (Went to
one talk where the speaker wanted "Americans" to call themselves
"United Statens")

And some English don't like thinking of themselves as European.

And being raised in the US South (losing side of the Civil War)
means it feels strange being called a Yank (Yankees being
the victors) -- even though I was raised by a Michigander and
a Canadian so don't have strong southern heritage.

And being raised in Miami I was used to the term "Hispanic",
which is apparently frowned upon because it's another made-up
term, and the proper one (at least for some Hispanic people)
is Chicano.  Except that it needs the feminine "-a" ending
when talking about a woman despite English not working that
way.

And ... and... I'm trying to figure out how to get back to
Python.  I assume some Python people like being called
Pythonistas and others don't, but that's not really a general
term used outside c.l.py.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com