Python module for making org charts?

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Sat Oct 11 18:18:06 EDT 2003

John J. Lee wrote:

> "Paul Gardella" <pgardell at bbn.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know of a Python module for building organization
>> charts?  I've looked at gdchart and JPGraph, but neither of them
>> do org charts, as far as
>> I can tell.  Seems it can be done with wxOGL in wxPython, but
>> that's the
>> brute force approach.  Any other options?  Thanks.
>
> Neither of these specifically know about org charts, but Graphviz
> (use
> dot) and Reportlab are two options.  But it shouldn't be much work
> in
> any decent vector graphics API, I'd imagine.  It's possible that
> dia or sketch have code (maybe plugins) that specifically does org
> charts, though.

That sounds like an answer to the output side, i.e. the need to
print org charts.

Related question -- Is there support for a digraph (directed graph)
*editor* in Python?  I'd like to be able to edit state diagrams
and FSMs (finite state machines).  I'm hoping to hook the Python
source code into my work on FSMs so that business rules and
processes can be encoded as FSMs.

I'm looking into PyUt.  The documentation talks about some UML
diagrams (class, sequence, and use case diagrams), but I have not
found support for state transition diagrams.  Maybe PyUt could be
extended.

Any other suggestions.

Dave

--