Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Hans Nowak hans at zephyrfalcon.org
Sun Oct 5 22:13:32 EDT 2003

Russell Wallace wrote:

OK, I'll bite --

> I'll claim C's syntax is objectively better - it has a clean
> definition whereas Python's hasn't.

It hasn't?  What is unclean about it?

> Python isn't even consistent - it
> uses whitespace some of the time and delimiters some of the time;

Python uses indentation to indicate code blocks.  I don't really see what is
inconsistent about it.  Indentation doesn't matter inside list, dict and tuple
literals, but then again code blocks don't appear in those.

> if
> it stuck to the decision to use whitespace it might be a bit less
> repellent. Also Python's syntax has a whole category of pitfalls that
> C's lacks.

Like what?  If you mean inconsistent indentation, that one bites you just the
same in other languages, just in different ways.

Curiously y'rs,

--
Hans (hans at zephyrfalcon.org)
http://zephyrfalcon.org/