assignment expression peeve

Paul Rubin http
Wed Oct 15 20:34:25 EDT 2003

Carl Banks <imbosol at aerojockey.invalid> writes:
> Again, apples and oranges.  You are comparing meanings, when the
> problem is syntax.  "A guy named Bob walks into a bar" and
> "bar.enter(bob := Guy())" might have the same meaning, but they use a
> diffenent syntax to convey it.  And the latter uses a syntax with no
> analogue in any natural language I know of.

Whatever.  You're the only programmer I've ever encountered who claims
to have actual trouble understanding assignment expressions.  With
other people, the objection is that they can be confused with
comparison expressions, or that they're simply another
not-so-important feature that Python doesn't need.