Tip: Windows internals using wmi

Colin Brown cbrown at metservice.com
Tue Oct 7 16:05:39 EDT 2003

Thanks for your comments Tim. Sadly I find myself in the same position
as yourself with regard to need and time to investigate this further.

I note that there is a third article in WMI Scripting Primer's:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnclinic/ht
ml/scripting06112002.asp

which states:
"Modifying the Properties of a Managed Resource
In Windows 2000, WMI is primarily a read-only technology. Of the 4,395
properties defined in the Windows 2000 root\cimv2 namespace, only 39
properties are writeable. Those numbers improve in Microsoft® Windows® XP,
where 145 of approximately 6560 properties are writeable. And the numbers
get even better in Windows Server 2003."

It appears to be evolving technology, currently targetted more at inspection
than management!

Colin Brown
PyNZ