Why don't people like lisp?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Oct 21 01:31:08 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:

> David Steuber <david.steuber at verizon.net> writes:
> > If even XEmacs is ported over to Common Lisp in my lifetime I will be
> > surprised.  If it happens to GNU Emacs, surprise will not be enough
> > and I will have to resort to astonishment.
> >
> > I'm not thinking of the core code.  I'm thinking of all those *.el
> > files floating around the universe.
>
> Plans have been to convert Emacs to use a Scheme dialect with hacks to
> support old .el files.

I have seen a translator written in scheme to convert el files
to scheme automatcially. I don't know how good it is or whether
it's ready to go, but it was basically source-to-source
compilation using a chained series of thunks as the output.

And of course, there's an emacs-alike editor called 'edwin' that is
coded directly in scheme.  I don't know whether it runs any .el
files, but I think that it doesn't.

				Bear