IDE Python

Harri Pesonen fuerte at sci.fi
Fri Oct 3 16:40:19 EDT 2003

Lothar Scholz wrote:

>>reo = re.compile(r"#define\s+Py_None.*\n")
>>
>>it should know that reo is a regular expression object. It should try at
>>least. :-) Simpler example:
>>
>>string.upper().
>>
>>and it shows nothing.
>
> The first could be done as a heuristic. The second is not easily
> possible in an untyped language. And i guess no other IDE for any
> script language can do this. Maybe they can do it for a few standart
> functions but not in general.
>
> Choosing python has advantages and disadvantages.

It is my understanding that Python is largely self-documenting. It has
dir(), globals(), locals() etc. Why couldn't the editor compile and
execute the source code in sandbox on the fly? It would then know the
object types in most cases. By "in sandbox" I mean that it should not
execute any operating system functions (file, network etc) but it should
create the objects still.

Visual Basic has a very good intellisense. But it only works if you
define the data types explicitly. Python should have an option to define
the data type for variables... and "option explicit", which should be
simple to implement.

Harri