Python debug libraries

Robert Ferrell ferrell at diablotech.com
Wed Oct 29 12:32:11 EST 2003

<quote who="Trent Mick">
> [Robert Ferrell wrote]
>> I'm trying to do some debugging of python extensions on Windows2K.  MS
>> Visual Studio (.NET) says it can't find the debug version of the
>> python libraries.  (The message is "python.exe does not contain any
>> debugging information".)  I installed the binaries from the Windows
>> installer.  How should I get the debug libraries?  Or is that even
>> what I need?  I'm kind of new to Windows, and Visual Studio in
>> particular, so maybe I'm way off base.
>
> If you are using the ActivePython distribution the debug libraries are
> made available in a separate package here:
>     ftp://ftp.activestate.com/ActivePython/etc/
>
> For example the debug libs for ActivePython 2.3.2 are:
>     ActivePython-2.3.2-230-win32-ix86.debug.zip

Okay, I installed ActivePython and the debug libraries.  I'm also using
ActiveState's Visual Python.  I have a Python driver script which calls
into my Python extension (written in C).  How do I get the debugger to
break in the Python script, and then later in my C code?  I can get it to
do one or the other by changing which is the "Startup Project".  But when
I'm debugging I really need both.

Thanks,
-robert