python 2.3.1 issues DeprecationWarning for FCNTL when importing tempfile

Pierre Rouleau prouleau at impathnetworks.com
Mon Oct 6 10:25:03 EDT 2003

> [Pierre Rouleau]
>
>>Would you remember what version of the Installer was doing that?  I
>>should probably report that to Gordon McMillan if i could reproduce
>>it.
>

> [Tim Peters]
>
>>Sorry, I have only the vaguest recollection of this.  I can't
>>even say whether Gordon's installer-builder specifically was
>>implicated in this aged and feeble memory.  If you can
>>remember what you did a few days ago, though, you could try
>>to provoke it again.
>

> I think the incident that Tim is remembering is when I asked a very similar
> question to this a little while back.  Mark Hammond also came across this
> behaviour around the same time.  It's definitely the McMillan software that
> does it.  If you want details, they'd definitely be in the recent (last
> couple of months) archives here (a google for "Meyer fnctl Peters" would
> probably find it), and also in the spambayes archives (google for "fnctl
> spambayes site:mail.python.org").
>
> =Tony Meyer

Thanks Tony.

I reported the problem to Gordon McMillan (via the bugTRacker on his
site).  The fcntl.pyc re-appeared on one of the systems I use (Win32 XP)
when I got the latest wxPython and ran the Installer on a simple 2-line
python program.

The creation of fcntl.pyc is not easy to reproduce.  After noticing the
file presence I was not able to reproduce the creation of the file
again.  I'll try later tonight and will update this thread if i find
something new.

Pierre