Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

David Rush drush at aol.net
Wed Oct 8 16:51:41 EDT 2003

On 08 Oct 2003 22:17:48 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon
> Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck at gmx.net> writes:
>> And the blanket claim that Japanese spelling in kana is badly designed
>> compared to say, English orthography seems really rather dubious to me.
> I was criticising the graphical aspect on a discrimination stand-point.
>
> For example, the difference between the latin glyphs for "ka" and "ga"
> is bigger than that between the corresponding kana glyphs.

But the actual pronunciation difference (consonantal vocalization) is far
closer to the graphical difference in kana.

> But it does not matter since the topic was kanji...

But Kanji are not, and no-one has ever even remotely claimed that Kanji
are phonetic. In fact their main advantage is that they are *not* phonetic.
They were made that way by the Chinese so that all parts of the empire
could communicate even though they spoke widely varying dialects.

david rush
--
(\x.(x x) \x.(x x)) -> (s i i (s i i))
        -- aki helin (on comp.lang.scheme)